Mexican Vegetarian Quesadillas
Mexican Vegetarian QuesadillasCourse: Main Course, Main DishCuisine: American
4 medium flour tortillas
2 tsp olive oil divided
1 large sweet potato
1 tsp jalapeno, diced, optional
1 tbsp easy homemade taco seasoning or store bought mix packer
1 mini red pepper
1 mini orange pepper
1 cup cheddar or pepper jack cheese
1 tbsp butter for pan frying
1/2 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
1/4 cup corn, rinsed and drained
- Suggested for Serving
fresh cilantro, lime juice, your favorite salsa, sour cream
- Prepare Filling
- Poke several holes into the sweet potato by a pork. Drizzle with 1 tsp olive oil. Wrap the sweet potato in paper towels and microwave for 8 minutes or until very tender.
- Dice jalapeno and peppers removing the ribs and seeds. In a large pan, add diced peppers and jalapeno and cook until tender, about 5-7 minutes. Then add black beans, corn and taco seasoning, stir to combine cooking, another 3 minutes. Pour into a bowl and set aside.
- Assemble the Quesadilla
- Lightly spread butter over one side of the tortilla. On the other side spread about 3 tbsp of sweet potato over the tortilla. Next mash half of an avocado over the sweet potato. Add about 1/4 cup of the veggie/bean filling over the top of the avocado. Finally sprinkle a generous amount of cheese over top.
- Place the butter side of the tortilla down on the warm pan and cook over medium heat until tortilla is browned and cheese is melted. Carefully fold tortilla in half on to itself using the spatula. Repeat until all tortillas are filled and cooked. Slice and serve warm with suggested toppings and enjoy!
- Store leftovers in an airtight container for up to 4 days.