6 cloves of garlic, minced
6 cups low sodium chicken broth
2 large carrots, thinly sliced
2 celery stalks, roughly chopped
1 tablespoon avocado oil or olive oil
1 yellow onion, diced
1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
1 cup pearl or Israeli couscous
1 tablespoon fresh grated turmeric (or 1 teaspoon ground turmeric)
1 teaspoon freshly chopped rosemary
1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast or thighs
1 teaspoon freshly chopped thyme, stems removed
½ teaspoon salt
Freshly ground black pepper
2/3 cup frozen peas (optional)
- In a large dutch oven or pot over medium high heat, heat oil. Once oil is hot, add in garlic, onion, carrots and celery; cook for a few minutes until translucent.
- Next add in grated ginger and grated turmeric. Sauté for 30 seconds to let the spices cook a bit, then add in chicken broth, chicken breast, rosemary, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Bring soup to a boil, then stir in couscous.
- Reduce heat to medium low and simmer uncovered for 20-25 minutes or until chicken is fully cooked.
- Once chicken is cooked, remove with a slotted spoon and transfer to a cutting board to shred with two forks. Add chicken back to pot then stir in frozen peas. Taste and adjust seasonings, if desired.